It is currently in use and considering the other lenses I have reviewed recently that alone is a ringing endorsement. Not an exciting lens, but a fun lens. Very practical with great all-around operational and image performance that makes for a great everyday lens.
I have quickly found that I really like this lens as a walkabout lens. I will admit that I am usually a bit aperture-obsessed, but I have quickly found a workaround for this. At night and in very low light conditions I borrowed a page from my SIGMA Foveon bag of tricks. Shoot black and white. A set up that I really like:
- Shoot JPEG, which allows…
- High Contrast Monochrome Picture Effect (Menu/Camera 1/Tab 11)
- Sidebar: Never used this before because I usually shoot RAW. That will now change. I really like the look of this effect.
- Auto ISO set to top out at 12800
- I use 6400 for color, but 12800 is fine for black and white.
Here are the results of a quick test one evening while running errands.