After a bit of a vintage digital bender I shot and developed some film recently. Had two B&W rolls and one color roll to develop.
In this post I got through another roll of my favorite B&W film with a favorite camera.
Developed it together with a roll of mystery HP5 using Cinestill Df96 monobath and scanned.
The user error resulted in a band down the right side of the pictures. The fire truck shot was taken in haste so the band is cropped out with the truck door that made its way into the photo. My theory on what caused it is low chemistry level in the tank either caused by my not measuring 800ml correctly or the reel riding up in the tank. Loaded the 120 roll on top. Bugged me at first, but…
- If I wanted perfection and no risk of screw ups I would not be shooting film. Part of the process. Lesson learned. Will be more careful next time.
- Like my friend Anthony said, “Now you know how to get a band down one side. That’s art.”. I like that.
User Error Sidebar:
Had also wondered if the band on the right could possibly be a film back light leak, but after more thinking and reading I have confirmed it is not a light leak.
- In all cases I see what appear to be fluid lines which leans to low chemistry level in the tank.
- I am using what I believe to be the minimum fluid required but I have a (now realizing what is a) bad habit of holding the tank in hand while mixing which certainly means there is a tilt involved, which likely means uneven chemistry coverage.
- A true light leak would have completely obliterated the negative rather than the slight difference seen in my case.
- Realizing that both rolls where these bands appeared I was developing two rolls of B&W film at a time (one 35mm and one 120 with the 120 on top) in the larger tank (where a tilt might be exaggerated) and both times happened to be with Rollei RPX 400 (purely a coincidence I am sure). Additionally, the last roll I developed was developed by itself and had no band issues at all. And there I was using the camera in the sun mostly where a light leak would have caused real issues. And lastly…
- I did a dedicated Hasselblad enthusiast website provided light leak test and my film back passed. Take the lens off, put the mirror up, take the film slide out, and then shine a light around the film back. No leaks.
So I am as certain as one can be that this is a low chemistry issue. Fix.
Use more chemistry if I am developing two rolls at a time and keep the tank on a level surface. Mystery was solved while developing film the next night. Never checked the rest of the scale and thought this number blocked by a ridge in the measuring cup was 800.
It is 600. Missed because I do not often develop 35mm and 120 rolls at the same time. Fill it to the top line and keep it moving. The bottom line is that rushing caused this. Will not be done again.
Enough preamble. On to the photos. Taken for the simple reason that I wanted to run a roll through the 501c. Chose a location I have driven by before and had taken quick shots,…
…but this time I parked and took my time. And as should come as no surprise I liked the experience and the results much more. Nothing Earth-shattering. Just some simple photo therapy captures. All 12 exposures are below.